Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Against Nature

I may have found another literary soulmate: J.K. Huysmans. I am reading Against Nature. It is HILARIOUS!!! Laugh out loud funny! My favorite part so far is when the protagonist becomes incapacitated for weeks because he had to look at a common person's face. He was so horrified at seeing mediocre people that he had to run back to his mansion and hide in his books! This character is ME.

What would he think of "Jersey Shore"? I live on the Jersey Shore and I encounter these parasites every day of my life. Bourgeois suburbanites with their nose to the ground, looking for a piece of gold. Wheeling, dealing, cheating, saving, scrimping, slaving and swindling money from their own families! There's often nothing wrong with most evil, but there's always something wrong with SMALLNESS and PETTINESS. That's it!

My only issue with J.K. Huysmans is that he was a bit of a Catholic apologist. But this is forgivable. If anything it somehow makes him even more exotic.

Christianity is not healthy for ubermenschen like me, but the cast of "Jersey Shore" could - to paraphrase Nietzsche - use quite a few large doses of Christianity and Schopenhauerian Pessimism.

And, yes, nature can be both refreshing and tiresome. Isn't the Museum of Natural History sometimes more exciting (and safe) than a safari? Now I know what may have influenced the Satanic call for artificial environments where each man will be free to be himself without outside interference.

No comments:

Post a Comment