Friday, October 22, 2010

Last night I was talking to a very intelligent and perceptive woman, a former college administrator. She asked me if I regretted not going to college.

"Well, I know this sounds kind of nihilistic," I answered, "but the only regret I have is that I did not experience all the hedonism of college. Instead I went out into the real world almost right away and I ended up in a very traumatic relationship. I guess I can say my whole 20s were mostly a drag. I'm glad they're over. So, in that sense I do regret not going to college. But I didn't miss out on education. I educated myself."

That's right. I'm an autodidact. Which makes me a sharper and deadlier thinker than the average college grad. No professorial dogma has held me back. We can only learn from the library and the streets.

And the library is about to close, so I have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment