Monday, November 8, 2010

"Three O'Clock High" is one of the greatest teen films ever made. My favorite line is when Buddy Revell says to Jerry (after Jerry paid him $350 to not beat him up): "You're the biggest pussy I've ever met in my life. You didn't even try. How does that feel?"

See, my interpretation is that Buddy was a benevolent character. He was trying to teach Jerry to face his fears and overcome his own weaknesses. I even believe he may have intentionally lost the fight. So many hidden meanings in an 80s teen film. See, it's very important just to TRY. Try. Try and do the right thing. Try no matter what anyone does to one. Try against all obstacles. This is what I'm learning. This is what I should have learned. I'm finally ready to be a good boy. I'm finally ready to be a nice kid.

I feel energy now. I'm fueled by a hearty meal, a submarine sandwich. Problem! Alert! The people at the sub shop are now familiar with me and they are all very nice to me. Uh-oh! What to do? This reminds me of the Oren's Daily Roast situation.

When I worked at Grand Central I went to Oren's Daily Roast every day for a chocolate chip muffin. Soon, all of the workers were familiar with me and joked around with me every morning. I became extremely socially phobic. It got to the point where I changed my entire route so that I would not have to see them every morning.

THEN, when I did go back they said: "Where have you been!" and it started all over again? WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO BE NICE??? Just kidding! I like it when people are nice, but I become so afraid of not being nice back - or of somehow offending them - that I simply avoid them. It's not fair to them or myself. Why can't I make casual friends and develop a cozy microcosm? I will dammit!

This time I will not back down. I will continue to go to the Jersey Mike's Sub Shop in Wall Township. I will make casual friends with the people at the counter. I will order the same thing every day until they make fun of me for it! Until they deliver my order with all the self-assurance of a bartender pouring an alcoholic's favorite brand of whiskey.

Just be a nice kid - like Jerry - and everything will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment