Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sex, Drugs and Philip K. Dick

I just finished a book by a man named Clifford Pickover. Clifford Pickover is a rather prolific and self-made (well, aren't most writers self-made?) science and science fiction writer. The book I read "Sex, Drugs, Einstein and Elves" was mostly speculation.

I must be an abductee. 4:30am in the morning and I'm reading about DMT experiences. Why am I always attracted to this sort of literature? No matter what bookstore I go to I am always immediately drawn to the "Speculation" shelf. Am I an abductee or am I an alien?

I always enjoy reading about the Science Fiction writer Philip K. Dick (even though reading about his swallowing phobia was what prompted my swallowing phobia; but I can't blame him - that's where my worst blockage was, right in the throat; all those years of not speaking up for myself; it makes sense.) Philip K. Dick believed that we are - at this moment - living at the height of the Roman Empire. The specific date he gave was 50 AD.

In the words of Pickover: "In short he (Philip K. Dick) believes that our world today is not taking place in the 21st century, and we are deceived and live in a counterfeit reality lodged in a spacetime pocket in 50 AD."

For some reason this theory oddly resonates with me. Does anyone else feel the same?

2 comments:

  1. I think this feeling is the usual shock of understanding what is real.
    Our generation (presuming you are around 20 to 35 years old...) was raised with a screen in front of its eyes. I remember Richard Linklater saying when he witnessed a live gun attack, it didn't feel real. The blood was not like the blood in TV. The sound was not like in the movies.
    But I think that PKD got too far on that thought.
    Roman Empire is too much for me.

    Regards,
    fabio

    ReplyDelete
  2. It resonates with me too. The black iron prison is a really familiar image, it's almost like Dick is trying to trigger an anamnesis, like when he saw the ichthus on the courier. I think the idea is that the consensus reality world isn't what it seems, and the truth could be something like we're secret Chrisrians in ancient Rome being tricked into believing an illusion. Wherever or whenever we are, the empire never ended.

    ReplyDelete