Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Good Man

Around this time last year the State of New Jersey was nice enough to send me into counseling with a psychologist.

I was enrolled in a job program for the mentally ill. The fact of the matter is that I am mentally ill, but I am also much saner than the average person. At least I can see the whole frightening and dehumanizing picture. The only cure, the only obvious answer is Freud's prescription: love, sex, work. But most people nowadays hate all three.

My psychologist, Dr. E, was a nice older gentleman, about 60 years of age.

What's odd about age is that age is often devoid of wisdom. Those maxims don't hold true. I knew more at 28 than he did at 60. I'm not even 30 yet and I just know so damn much.

Through 20 sessions I intellectually beat this man from pillar to post. He couldn't get a grip on me.

He had a rather narrow reality tunnel. He was locked in a modern bourgeois perspective. He was a Harvard graduate, NYU graduate and Rhodes scholar who knew nothing about any of my favorite philosophers. He was out of his league because I knew myself better than he did. He tried squeezing me into some kind of box and he just couldn't do it. He liked SOY because soy is very popular among what Zizek would call "liberal communists" - those who want to have their capitalist cake and eat it too. Are "liberal communists" out of style yet? They might be.

As New Age as some of his accouterments were he had never even heard of Aleister Crowley, a man who contributed so much to "New Age" thought in general. How could you pass through so many educational institutions without ever having heard of Crowley.

So I told him to look up Aleister Crowley online.

When I saw him the next week he started: "I looked up that Aleister Crowley guy."

"Oh yeah?" Let's see what Dr. E had to say.

"Weird stuff, man! Crazy stuff! The stuff he was doing with the Golden Dawn was just insane! They had all sorts of weird stuff on the page I checked out. All sorts of weird hieroglyphics and stuff. Honestly I was afraid to even look at it." He was serious.

After that Dr. E started to realize that I was merely a sane man in an insane world. What was insane? Everything he took for normal!

Dr. E was a ver good and kind man though I intellectually bested him. Yes, I pulled a bit of Guerilla Ontology on him, but just the fact that he was open to my Guerilla Ontology says something about his character. A very nice man.

Now that I have health insurance I'll go back to him just to hang out and chill once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment