Monday, May 11, 2009

Four Steps Short of a Hipster if He Lived in that Hipster's Dimension (I'm only three behind, but I also live in yet another dimension)

Just look at him: he probably has a small core of douchebag friends, but even they are a merry go round; a ring of associates and ten thousand who have come and gone without the pain of pulling a band-aid. He'll go out to Jenkinson's and drink with any of them and have really good friends for a night.

I'm sure he's tried everything from basketball leagues to mixed martial arts to Born Again Christianity, but it is all - from hobbies to the profound - transient, a surface show, a play of flat, emotionless images, and nothing runs deep. His only pain is that there is no pain. To him nothing is profound enough to touch, tickle, hurt.

Existential Philosophy could be his next hobby. Why not? We live in a free country and he has a whole buffet of options in front of him at all times. But for him even Existential Philosophy would just be something trendy, something "cool" to do - he would imagine himself as one of the smart fratboys from the "American Pie" movies, the one who drinks a brew and discusses the kind of implements Socrates must have used to smoke weed. He would also want to appear "deep" to equally vapid women.

With or without the sacred or profound his life would be just as vapid. Buddhism was just something that Rambo practiced in "Rambo III". The universe was created just so MTV could exist. 

Even death is like a movie. And even death has become just another fun thing to be tried.

I don't want to live like this man! I want to live! I want to feel! I want the people, places, and things in my life to have meaning!

Call me a goddamned jaded idealist!

No comments:

Post a Comment